Friday 23 November 2012

Perks for Seeing the Wallflower

I consider myself to be a wallflower. I always slipped under the radar during high school. So, The Perks of Being a Wallflower caught my eye. It was a movie that celebrates being a wallflower! So I had relatively high expectations for this movie. Especially, since this is Emma Watson's biggest role after the finish of the Harry Potter series.

But I didn't quite meet my expectations. Maybe because I truly celebrated and embraced being a wallflower. I had friends and I had social skills but I was never connected enough to be sucked in by the gossip and as such, I had a realistic view of my peers and life in general. That's one of the biggest differences between Charlie and I - besides his other issue that you will just have to watch/read to find out about. Charlie was almost desperate for friendship and had a desire to fit in somewhere.

Putting aside my own experiences as a wallflower, the movie was good. I don't know if it was a completely accurate portrayal of high school but there were still moments where I could relate. Despite all that I mentioned above, I still connected with Charlie. His introverted nature and his difficulty to interact socially with someone is something I think everyone goes through at one point or another. Logan Lerman did fantastic job showcasing a realistic Charlie. He was adorable, awkward, shy and vulnerable. It is a delicate balance as too little of one characteristic would have been plastic, while too much would have been annoying. He is a talented actor that I'm going to keep an eye out for.

Emma Watson is another actor that I have great respect for simply because of the way she handled coming out of the popular Harry Potter series. She could have easily been typecasted but she managed to avoid all problems by changing her looks, modeling and picked supporting roles for a while. She made us notice her as an actor and not just as Hermione Granger. She did a brilliant job as Sam - just enough spicy to be seen as the rebellious character. She's still was a little too sweet for me to 100% see her as Sam who seemed like she should have been a little more wild.

But my favourite character was Ezra Miller's Patrick. He embraced the identity of a misfit completely. He was bold. He didn't let his sexuality define him. It was just a part of the puzzle. He was hilarious to watch. His actions and dialogue brought laughs to the audience easily yet he was not comic relief. Patrick had many problems that he had trouble dealing with. He was beautifully vulnerable during these times.

Emma Watson described this movie best: "this is adolescence on crack". In the span of an hour and forty-five minutes, we experience the exploration of sexuality, various types of abuse, mental disorders, peer pressure, drugs, alcohol, the difficult transition of high school to college, bullying, the highs and lows of friendship, love and dating problems. I felt teenage angst, sadness, happiness, boredom and anger. It was a little exhausting to be honest.

This movie is good depending on your mood. But it has a little something for everyone, regardless of your age, gender or sexuality.

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment