Sunday 30 September 2012

Movie Pet Peeves & Midnight Screenings

One of my biggest pet peeves is people disrupting my attention in the movie theatres. I hate when people are texting, chatting, sleeping or making out heavily in the theatre while a movie is going on. Such disrespect! I don't usually say anything because I've chatted with a friend once during a movie. But in my defence, it was a HORRIBLE movie. Overall, I do generally try to see the movie as soon as it comes out in theatres because the people who really want to see it will be there in the opening weekend.

Personally, I love seeing movies at midnight screenings. The hard-core fans are always there, dressed up in costume. The atmosphere is amazing! They cheer, gasp and laugh all together. I've gone to the Harry Potter midnight screening and people were dressed up like Hogwarts robes with wands and draw-on scars. They cheered when Harry came back to life and teared up with Snape died. The impact of the movie is actually heightened due to the shared emotions that the audience experience. So, I always try to watch my most anticipated movies at midnight to enjoy it the most.

But I have never heard of advance tickets for a midnight screening going on sale a little more then a MONTH in advance. Generally, it's a week at the most but it goes to show you how incredibly anticipated the final of Nolan's Batman trilogy is expected.

I was one of the many who at 12pm on June 11 was sitting in front of their computer, hitting refresh until the tickets popped up. The IMAX site had what seemed like a constant message that apologized for the inconvenience about the heavy traffic flow. It took like half an hour but I managed to save tickets for me and my movie buddies! It sold out quickly too!

But what interested me, was how little they advertised about the advance sales. Sure, it's on their facebook page and there is a couple TV spots that mention it at the end of the commercial. I guess they did it so only the true fans would come out.

If you haven't gone to a midnight screening yet, you should. Go see a movie that you've being waiting for at midnight and you just might notice how much more intense that movie experience will be.

My next midnight screening? Probably for Skyfall in November. Maybe, I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment